openSUSE Pidgin Repository Now Online

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Jun 11 16:41:08 EDT 2010

Moving to devel at pidgin.im...

The first question I have is: why are you creating this repository? I'm
assuming it's for the same reason I created the Ubuntu one... to make it
easier for users of openSUSE to get the latest version of Pidgin.

If you're doing it because openSUSE doesn't ship any Pidgin packages at
all, that's a different story.

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 05:06 -0500, Nicholas Betcher wrote:
> The source has not been modified in any way (e.g. no patches) and the
> source was downloaded directly from pidgin.im.

Does the Pidgin package shipped with openSUSE include any patches? If it
does, I'd suggest you include the same ones, except if they've been
included upstream or for some good reason (i.e. not just because you
don't want to update them to apply) are no longer appropriate.

For example, Ubuntu ships patches that enable libnotify by default. I
continue to ship those in updated Ubuntu packages so that Ubuntu users
have a consistent experience whether they use our .deb packages or the
Ubuntu ones.

> Could this please be posted on the Pidgin website on the Download
> section so openSUSE can have their own little 15x5px download link
> next to the others? :)

I don't think we want to link to binary packages maintained by people
who are not Pidgin developers.

You should write up some simple instructions on how to configure and use
your repository and put them on your website so people can find your
packages that way.

Richard