Collaboration to make numerous (Skype, or MSN or Yahoo...) users switch to a free protocol

YannUbuntu yannubuntu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 02:44:18 EDT 2010

hi,
Collaboration is a very good idea. But I think the priority of this
collaboration should be to make a client able to perform audio&video
calls between Windows and GNU/Linux (as XMPP is the only free protocol
to currently perform 3+ users video call maybe we could concentrate on
it). IMHO, that would certainly be the most efficient way to make
numerous (Skype, and MSN and Yahoo...) users switch to a free
protocol.

I see 2 solutions for this:
1) port Empathy on Windows.
2) make Pidgin (or Emesene or other Windows IM) able to perform XMPP
audio&video calls with Empathy.

If I don't mistake, in both cases we need to port Telepathy to
Windows. (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Windows)
In case 2), we would beneficiate of current Pidgin Windows' base. But
also we would have to remove components incompatible with Telepathy.
In case 1), the parallel development of Windows and Linux versions of
Telepathy would maybe be easier for the future.
Maybe porting Empathy on Windows would be easier/faster at all ?

In both cases Windows' developpers from Pidgin&Emesene&others help
would be very helpful.

Telepathy now rocks on Linux, we must prepare to port it on Windows to
attract more users->devs !

if we get this, I bet you Steven that games and skins will quickly follow ;)

~YannUbuntu