GSoC. Pidgin for Android

Artem Drach artem.drach at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 06:41:26 EDT 2010

Hi everybody,

My name is Artem Drach, I'm an undergraduate in one of technical
universities in Ukraine.

I'd like to ask you, what do you think about porting Pidgin/libpurple
to Android as a GSoC project?
It's a good piece of work, and a guy started doing it here [1].

As far as I see, apart from technical challenges there may be a
mentoring one. In fact, this project wouldn't contribute to the Pidgin
code base. It looks like a separate project with all mobile platform
details and porting difficulties. What do you think, is it worth to
start going in depth creating an estimate and a proof-of-concept? If
it's ok, I'll ask a guy from [1] for his plans, maybe tomorrow we'll
see a finished project from him :)

[1] http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~dtbartle/pidroid/

-- Artem Drach