GSOC idea

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 05:34:43 EDT 2010

On 25/03/2010 21:46, Viktor Lofgren wrote:
> Hello. My name is Viktor Lofgren, and I'm a physics major from Sweden. I am
> indeed another GSOC-hopeful bogging down the mailing list.
>
> I have a kinda neat idea I've been playing around with for a while: A plugin for
> local-network presence announcement. It would naturally not be enabled by
> default, and require both ends to have it enabled to do anything. But what it
> would do would basically be something like send out a broadcasted packet
> requesting a reply from anyone running the plugin with their IM handle and
> possibly some sort of description or whatever.
>
> I think it would be very useful functionality for anyone on a reasonably big
> network, on an open wireless network, and so on.
>
> Does this pique anyone's interest, or is it back to the drawing board for me?

If you were working on a theme of location awareness, perhaps you should
think about Geolocation information.  XMPP supports geo-location and you
could look at finding a way to utilise that in Pidgin.

For example, showing a map to the location of the people on your buddy list.

Also there was a protocol/network back in the Gaim days that listed
people based on proximity to you.  What might be interesting there (as a
research idea) is having a buddy list group with the 20 people in close
proximity to you.

Regards
Phil Hannent
(Not a Pidgin developer)