Automerging buddies

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 12:00:40 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Ivan Komarov <ivan.komarov at dfyz.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, when multiple buddies with the same name appear in the
> buddy list, we prompt the user if he wants to merge them into one
> contact. I'd like to implement a setting (something like
> “Automatically merge buddies with the same name”), which, when
> activated, would merge existing buddies with the same name and do the
> same for future buddies without prompting the user.

How it would behave with "common names" such as "John"? I do have few
buddies which uses their natural name as identifier. In a quick view
of my buddy list I have found at least two cases where I have two
buddies with the same name and they are different persons.

A possible way to overcome this missbehavior without needing to
disable this feature could be to have some user defined "blacklist"
which can have this common names.