Windows 7 plugin won't load.

Daniel Grubbs dgrubbs at dexrex.com
Wed Oct 6 16:24:54 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I've got a pidgin plugin with a mysterious problem.  It runs fine if I start
pidgin from a cygwin command prompt, but it won't load if I start pidgin
normally. The debug output is:

(16:01:21) plugins: probing C:\Program Files
(x86)\Dexrex\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll
(16:01:21) plugins: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dexrex\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll is
not loadable: `C:\Program Files (x86)\Dexrex\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll': The
specified module could not be found.
(16:01:21) plugins: Unable to find saved plugin C:\Program Files
(x86)\Dexrex\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll

It seems that the plugin is not being loaded correctly at
.\libpurple\plugin.c line 257:

plugin->handle = g_module_open(filename, G_MODULE_BIND_LOCAL);

I have tried putting the plugin in different locations such as:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\plugins\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\.purple\plugins\DexrexPidginPlugin.dll

Again, it works fine if pidgin is started under cygwin.

I'm pretty sure this all used to work...  Ok, I just checked. It still works
fine on Windows Vista with Pidgin 2.5.4.  But it doesn't work on my home
machine with Windows 7 and Pidgin 2.5.6.  (I think it was some version like
that.  I'll check when I get home.)  So the problem seems to be just on
Windows 7.  (It also seems to work fine with Vista and Pidgin 2.7.3. I just
checked.)

Any ideas?

Dan Grubbs