Outstanding crashes

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 10:15:08 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 07:18, Florian Quèze <florian at instantbird.org> wrote:
> - We have a null-printf crash in msn_slpmsg_sip_new. From what I've
> been told it usually happens within 2 minutes of the connection of an
> MSN account.
> We also have crash reports where it happened with a much longer
> uptime, but the delay may be because the user has manually connected
> the MSN account.
> The stack is http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/5724c46e-466c-4011-b576-813ba2101005
> More reports of the same issue (the stacks are very similar, if not
> completely identical):
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/list?product=Instantbird&query_search=signature&query_type=exact&query=&date=&range_value=2&range_unit=weeks&process_type=all&plugin_field=&plugin_query_type=&plugin_query=&do_query=1&signature=strlen%20|%20_g_gnulib_vasnprintf

This is the type of thing that we're no longer likely to see very much
in Pidgin because glib >= 2.18 (IIRC) will no longer crash.
You might want to look into upgrading the version of glib that you're
shipping to something more recent (we're currently using 2.20.5).
It certainly is still considered a "bug" to pass NULL to printf, so if
you figure out any specific causes, of course we'll be happy to fix
them.

> - We have a significant number of crashes in
> msn_slp_sip_recv/msn_dc_destroy/purple_network_listen_cancel, with
> variations in the stacks. I suspect the variations may be randomly
> caused by using already free'd memory.
> Some stacks for this problem:
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/04db0e2f-7960-4d1a-99c1-7b2852100924
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/5f6f9cde-c75f-4617-892a-59ae32100924
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/55570e5d-b219-42b2-8302-9a3052101003
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/b8c75404-aafc-48e6-8620-01ef52100924
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/f092d332-97c8-40e8-9701-bb14e2101003
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/cbd67728-06ef-4262-a63f-ab8a12100924
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/2974f554-95f7-4804-8488-202022100929
> http://crash-stats.instantbird.com/report/index/2f2881da-6cad-495a-896e-ca7392100924
> This seems similar to http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/12387 I'll try
> to apply the patch available there, and we will see if it disappears
> in the next nightlies.

I'm pretty sure the commit associated with #12387 will address this crash.

-D