Time to Leave Monotone Behind?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Feb 5 00:49:16 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 23:40 -0500, John Bailey wrote:
> I assume the answer to that question is "as soon as
> possible," but begs the question of whether we want to have a blackout on
> monotone during the entire conversion process or allow commits right up until
> we're ready to put hg live.

If the incremental mode of the migrate script still works (albeit slower
after my changes), I propose the following steps:

0) Have a draft conversion that we're happy with, with the items
   discussed below complete.
1) Announce a freeze on branch commits that starts in 72 hours.
2) Wait 72 hours.
3) Run the "final conversion".
4) Announce an immediate freeze on i.p.p, assuming no objections in
   #pidgin or d at c.p.i. (From steps 1-4, people should be pushing pretty
   quickly after committing on i.p.p.)
5) Run an incremental conversion if there have been commits to i.p.p
   since step 3.
6) Deploy the hg repository, make MTN read-only, etc.

I think the conversion script was taking 36 hours or so to run in full.
An incremental run is (I'm just guessing) less than 4 hours. With some
time for the cut-over, that means there's a freeze on branch commits for
maybe 48 hours and a freeze on trunk commits for 12 hours.

> I'd like all developers, CPW's, etc. to review the authormap and branchmap files
> in my hg repository here:  http://hg.guifications.org/pidgin-mtn-conv-files/

While this should be obvious, it's the portion *after* the = that will
be used. Also, if you make changes yourself, keep in mind that you might
be listed multiple times.

If you're not in the authormap file, check the authormap.TODO file.
Those are the people I haven't gotten to identifying yet. (Some of
these, especially the ones with a full email, will be trivial to map. I
just haven't gone through it all yet.)

As a matter of policy, do we want developers to use @pidgin.im email
addresses or their "main" addresses?

> Richard has gone on to take a partial map of our ancient SVN history and
> use it to set author and committer certs on revisions where a developer
> committed someone else's patch.

In the interest of giving credit where due, almost all of the
revision-to-author mapping has come from Felipe.

In terms of remaining work, besides the authormap.TODO file, I'd like to
go through the history from after the SVN-to-Monotone conversion to
identify patch authors.

Additionally, we have some author and changelog certs with bad UTF-8.
The authors are getting cleaned up as part of the author mapping. The
changelog certs have been identified, but John and I haven't done the
grunt work of fixing them yet.

In terms of remaining questions/issues, I have the following:

A) How do we want to handle converting local branches? I think the
   answer is that people will have to re-run the migrate script on their
   own computer. While that sucks, it's a one-time pain for very few
   people. That said, do we know this works?

B) I think we need a plan for commit mails, repository serving, and bug
   tracker integration in place before we cut-over to hg.

Richard