Time to Leave Monotone Behind?

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Mon Feb 7 21:43:48 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 12:51:44PM -0800, Mark Doliner typed:
> Another option might be to just force these people to push their stuff
> to our main repo before the conversion.  Or force those people to deal
> with the problem themselves.  I'm not one of those people and I'm
> pretty cold-hearted, so maybe my vote shouldn't count for much :-)

I also don't have this problem.  But I know we had a few people who
had local patches back in the CVS and SVN days that they wanted to
carry over, so surely a few people have local stuff in mtn as well.
(I'd hope this is committed, since mtn *is* a DVCS!)

> > I can take the stuff from guifications.org for commit mails and ticket
> > auto-closures and adapt it for us.  I originally borrwed it from Adium.
>
> Does hg have a standard way to do commit emails, repository serving
> and bug tracker integration?  It seems like it should...?  It's not
> clear to me what you would be borrowing from guifications.org.

Yes, there are standard hooks for commit mails.  Trac integration was
a pain, as there was no included hook and I had to bisect to find a
working revision of the hook script once I found an external one.  The
trac integration may need some tweaking to get our milestone auto-set
done, but that shouldn't be too much trouble.  My bit with borrowing
from guifications.org is mainly using it as reference to remember what
I set up, since it's been a while.  We'll also surely want this stuff
to be global on pidign.im.  We wanted it per-repo for guifications, as
we have many more repos than we want commit mails and trac integration
for.

> > For repository serving, my intention is to use mercurial-server on one of our
> > servers and hg+ssh for pushes.  All we need in this case is an ssh pubkey from
> > every person who gets write access.
>
> Does that mean we'd need to create a system-wide user account for each commiter?

No.  We'd have one system user account.  All permissions are
determined by the ssh key in use and the permissions granted in the
configuration.

John