Migration considerations

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Feb 8 10:54:27 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 06:42 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > This is inline metadata (part of
> > the commit message). It's a Linux convention, not part of git.
>
> It is part of git:
> % git commit --signoff

I forgot git had that command line syntactic sugar. The underlying
point, however, was that git has *first-class* author and commit fields.
Signoffs are related (and good).

> >> No, you could just use 'git filter-branch' as I do in pidgin-git-import.
> > That said, `hg convert`'s (lack of) speed is a disadvantage, albeit
> > minor since it only needs to be run once. If you'd like to improve the
> > migration process, I'll certainly accept patches, as you know.
>
> You mean, more than the ones I have already contributed?

I don't see any filter-branch code in your fc-updates branch:

rlaager at HOSTNAME:~/src/pidgin-hg-convert$ git log | head -n1
commit 00b37886a84809ed86e08737eab87379c32fab04
rlaager at HOSTNAME:~/src/pidgin-hg-convert$ grep filter *
rlaager at HOSTNAME:~/src/pidgin-hg-convert$

migrate.sh in your branch still calls hg convert. I must be missing the
patch you're referring to.

Richard