pidgin: 7ee5e1d4: Patch from Zac West, plucked from severa...

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Mon Feb 21 11:18:11 EST 2011

On 02/21/2011 05:51 AM, Evan Schoenberg wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:47 AM, Kevin Stange <kstange at pidgin.im> wrote:
>
>> On 02/20/2011 07:36 PM, evands at pidgin.im wrote:
>>> Revision: 7ee5e1d431651ed2b1a54bc942d63f35580af55c
>>> Parent:   3de680fff7ddd1b00149657afb7f6cd833000a90
>>> Author:   evands at pidgin.im
>>> Date:     02/20/11 19:19:45
>>> Branch:   im.pidgin.pidgin
>>>
>>> Changelog:
>>>
>>> Patch from Zac West, plucked from several im.pidgin.adium commits, which adds an API for setting and getting attributes on PurpleConvChatBuddys
>>
>> "adds an API" means this belongs in i.p.p.next.minor unless it's agreed
>> that the next release will be 2.8.0.
>
> Isn't that only necessary if it changes an existing API in some way? There's zero impact on extant code.

Unless I'm misremembering the rules are:

- No API changes -> micro bump
- API add -> minor bump
- API remove or change -> major bump

The motivation was to indicate compatibility.

The goal is full forward and backward compatibility for the entire minor
release.  If you build against 2.7.11, there should be no risk your code
uses or expects symbols not available in 2.7.0 and vice versa.

The goal is full backward compatibility for the entire major release.
If you build against 2.0.0, there should be an expectation you can
continue to use the same binary with any libpurple or Pidgin until 3.0.0.

Kevin