Release process changes and a few other things

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Mon Jun 13 13:41:25 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 15:02 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
> On 06/12/2011 02:36 PM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> > * Get rid of some directories on our rpm repo.  The most recent Pidgin
> > version in these repos is 2.6.8.  Also RHEL 5 has been out since March
> > 2007.  CentOS 5 has been out since April 2007.  People should have
> > updated by now.
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/centos/4/
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/centos/4AS/
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/centos/4ES/
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/rhel/4/
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/rhel/4AS/
> > http://rpm.pidgin.im/rhel/4ES/
>
> I agree entirely.  The dependency version changes for 2.7.x precludes building
> on RHEL/CentOS 4, so there's no point in keeping anything around for it.

... And the dependency version changes in 2.8.0 preclude building RPMs
for any of the distros I previously had been doing so.

I've removed references to downloads for Fedora and RHEL/CentOS from the
main pidgin.im website now. I'd prefer to leave rpm.pidgin.im as-is, as
removing arbitrary parts of it will likely break user's yum
configurations.

> > * Remove http://rpm.pidgin.im/fedora/ and
> > http://www.pidgin.im/download/fedora_core/.  It looks like Fedora
> > keeps Pidgin fairly up to date themselves (the oldest supported
> > version, Fedora 13, has Pidgin 2.7.11).
>
> I have no preference on this one.  I don't see a problem with telling users that
> they have to upgrade their distro or compile Pidgin themselves.

I've removed the latter.

Regards,

Stu.