Re{factor,write} of status API

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Jun 28 20:21:11 EDT 2011

On 06/28/2011 01:44 AM, Jan Kaluza wrote:
> My biggest problem with current status API is that every PurplePresence contains
> PurpleStatus for *all* status_types supported by prpl, which is big
> waste of memory
> (see stats in #14290).
> I have "fixed" that in #14290 and I believe future changes can be
> based on that patch,
> but I don't mind if they won't.

I have a better idea.  Let's axe PurplePresence.  As I see it, its existence
does nothing but serve to complicate and confuse matters.

> I share the idea to always instantiate new PurpleStatus object, inform UI with
> old_status and new_status and then remove old_status.

I've wanted this basically since 2.0.0.  This would enable the buddy state
notification plugin to have some additional (optional) functionality--it could
tell you whether the user went away, came back, etc.

John