Plans for 3.0.0

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Mar 15 19:26:55 EDT 2011

On 03/14/2011 12:21 AM, John Bailey wrote:
> I want to start an im.pidgin.pidgin.next.major branch soon (sometime in the next
> 7 days).  In this branch we'll first kill off all deprecated API in what is now
> our current codebase.  Once that is complete, we need to get the keyring and
> logging SoC stuff merged in.  During this time, we should not at all be afraid
> to change UI concepts or terminologies (such as s/PurpleContact/PurplePerson/
> and s/PurpleBuddy/PurpleContact/ as has been bandied about a few times).
>
> A would-be-nice item is the webkit stuff.  I'm not sure if this is realistic to
> fit in the timeframe, but if we can squeeze it in, I'm all for it.

I have created im.pidgin.pidgin.next.major in monotone.  Let the mergefest begin!

From the above and Sadrul's e-mail, here's a quick punchlist of the huge tasks:
  * Kill deprecated API.
  * Merge im.pidgin.soc.2008.masterpassword
  * Merge im.pidgin.soc.2007.remotelogging
  * Merge im.pidgin.cpw.nader.asynclogging-3 if it's acceptable
  * Change PurpleContact to PurplePerson
  * Change PurpleBuddy to PurpleContact (existing PurpleContact has to be
renamed first!)
  * Finish struct hiding
  * Kill off server.[ch].  We've been wanting them dead for years.
  * Ideally merge im.pidgin.soc.2009.webkitmessageview

Note that each one of those items will leave a mess to clean up after.

John