Plans for 3.0.0

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Tue Mar 15 21:33:48 EDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 06:43 PM, John Bailey wrote:
> On 03/15/2011 07:38 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
>>>  * Change PurpleBuddy to PurpleContact (existing PurpleContact has to be
>>> renamed first!)
>>
>> I think I am opposed to this for two reasons (1) 'Buddy' means more
>> sense than 'Contact' in IM context, and (2) Changing the meaning of
>> PurpleContact can potentially be very confusing, especially for plugin
>> authors. If Buddy absolutely has to go for some reason, I think
>> 'Friend' would be better than 'Contact'.
>
> The main idea behind changing away from Buddy is that AOL has trademarked "Buddy
> List", so we probably should rename that before AOL notices and gets all pissy
> again like they did over our old name.  It makes sense that we'd rename the type
> if we rename the list--after all, a "Contact List" full of buddies won't make
> sense to users.  Contact seemed to make sense since Adium and a crapload of
> other IM clients already use that term.  Also, "Friends List" was at one point
> trademarked by Yahoo!, so we should be careful there.

I concur with others' sentiment that changing the API is not really
sensible.  I don't think AOL has a trademark on the term "Buddy" by
itself.  If we're concerned about the trademark violation, we can change
the title of the window to "Contact List" certainly and still refer to
individual account-level entries as "Buddies."

I think the concept still makes sense from an API standpoint.
Effectively PurpleContacts are the containers of multiple PurpleBuddies,
right?  So technically our list is a Contact List already at a higher
level than it's a Buddy List.

Kevin