Status of the mtn to hg migration

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Fri Mar 25 01:00:14 EDT 2011

On 03/24/2011 08:39 PM, John Bailey wrote:
>   * Review the branchmap and make appropriate changes
>     * Personal branches:
>       * Leave them in the main repo or split them into separate repos?
>       * What about naming?  Richard doesn't like cpw prefixes, as it's messy
> when people get promoted to developer.

I've been thinking about this a bit.  If we go the multiple repo route, we can
have a layout like this (just examples, of course):

/srv/hg
 |- pidgin
 |- pidgin-gobjectification
 `- people
   |- rekkanoryo
   | |- icqxstatus
   | `- yahoo15ft
   `- morshed.nader
     |- asynclogging
     `- asynclogging-3

This is almost certainly too complicated for most things we use branches for
right now, and that's to be expected--we will want to continue using named
branches in hg for short-lived stuff.  Major projects, though, particularly ones
that involve significant refactoring, may be better off being in their own repos
instead of in named branches.

If we get back to the summer of code next year, it will probably make sense to
have the students work in their own repos so we can enforce that only the
student and his/her mentor has write access.

John