libpurple and imprudence

chris-tuchs at hushmail.com chris-tuchs at hushmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:24:31 EDT 2011

Thanks for your replies Christopher and Kevin!

So, I found the source to 2.7.11, built it, ran it, been reading
code.  No obvious doc "here's how you replace Pidgin and Finch
with your favorite gui and IM system stuff", not that I expected
it.  It seems like a pretty rare usecase to me.  Though if you
have even some half baked docs, I would love to read them.
Replacing the Pidgin and Finch UIs is half of what I'm going to
be doing.

The earlier work I did integrating a client directly with libotr
was aided by libotr's fairly small interface spec.  A list of
about 6 functions to define the 'ui' for libotr, and a few
functions to call into it to get it to do stuff.  Is there a
similar list of the UI focused services that libpurple need to
become a IM client?

The other half of what I am looking at doing is providing a new
IM back end type plugin.  (Or maybe two, the client source base
is not beautiful.)  I am expecting to need to provide services
like connect, send message, get message, test buddy presence,
etc.  Is that documented anywhere?  It is not obvious on the
website.

I understand I don't need source to dependencies like
libgpg-error, I was just stumbling around with no hint of what
version of pidgin (I guess you can't get just libpurple) I
needed.

Would it be reasonable and permitted for us (developers working
on imprudence) to ship libpurple with the client (imprudence)?
Would that cause users of Pidgin/Finch/libpurple any issues?

Thanks again for the replies!

Chris