[GSoC] Automated Usage Stats Collection

Rishi Agarwal rishiag.iitd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 02:45:23 EDT 2012

Hi Mark

Thanks for your interest in my application. I would like to answer your
queries as follows:

1. Regarding restrictions, I have following examples in my mind:
(a) No direct access to user's and his contacts' mail ids. If at all, a
plugin requires to collect these stats (let's say a plugin which collects
the level of participation in a group chat), actual ids will be substituted
with dummy markers.
(b) Limited access to chat conversations and keyboard. Actual chat
conversations can't be logged and only keyboard commands (like Alt +F4) can
be logged. This is basically to facilitate debugging while not compromising
on privacy.

The crash reports that I am targeting are mainly from the plugins' crashes.
Also, why I thought grouping of crash reports and filing under the same
ticket will be required is because multiple user's will have same sort of
crashes in a single plugin. Grouping will make it easy for the developer to
prioritize the issues which need to be fixed.

Regarding the account management point, I agree with you that maintaining a
separate account for every developer will be a bit cumbersome. I was
thinking of public-private key approach to do this, where a plugin
developer will share the public key with the logging framework and will use
the private key to access the logs. The reason I included this was so that
the developer can easily track issues related to his/her own plugin. A
simpler solution will be to keep the logs sorted according to the plugin on
the site.

I am more interested in providing the logging API rather than usage data
collection part of the project as I think this would be a great value add
to the Pidgin Universe. I'd be happy to provide more clarifications if
needed.

Thanks
Rishi