New PurplePrefType: string with hint list

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sat Aug 11 17:46:16 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Tomasz Wasilczyk
<tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure, if i understand correctly. Gadu-Gadu have a lot of
> connection servers, this list is very mutable (and not published
> entirely anywhere, i think). I would like to save successfully
> connected server addresses to hint-list with allowing user to find a
> working server by himself, i.e. here [1]. This is mainly for case,
> when hub server goes down.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without the user needing to
think about it.  It sounds like there is a hub server that Pidgin
normal connects to to determine where to log in?  And that server
sometimes goes down?  What do official Gadu-Gadu clients do in that
case?  Are they still able to log in?  I'm wondering if it would make
sense for us to run a light-weight CGI on pidgin.im that returns a
list of Gadu-Gadu servers, and then have libpurple fetch this list as
a backup.