Not a spam, pidgin status and youtube

Sanket Agarwal sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Sun Aug 26 01:48:49 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Srikant <srikant at fossee.in> wrote:
> Dear all,
> This might be someone's interest.
> I have written a python code to update pidgin status with currently played
> youtube video. This presently works with
> firefox only.
> Link to script: https://github.com/srikantpatnaik/pidgin-youtube
>
> Srikant

Hi Srikant,

it's a good starting point to start getting a feel of Pidgin :-). I
have a few, though small suggestions that might pip up the plugin you
wrote.
* You can take advantage of the DBUS api which has python bindings.
It'll give you a LOT more control over pidgin's internal -- but it has
a drawback that it's support is only limited to linux.
* It's not wise to set status every 2 seconds, that might actually be
throwing away too many messages at the server. You will want to have
some eventloop which triggers on URL change -- or something similar.

If you wish to visit some of the most horrible plugins I wrote:
https://github.com/snktagarwal/pidgin-plugins

Cheers
--Sanket