EFF Moan about libpurple logging

Zachary West zacwest at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:05:40 EST 2012

On Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 07:57 PM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 09:08 PM, Peter Lawler wrote:
> > Hi!
> > For those who may not be watching Twitter....
> >
> > https://twitter.com/EFF/status/154394005940088832
> >
> > 'Tell @pidginIM and @adium: ask users whether they want to log chats,
> > don't just turn it on'
> >

> What an obnoxious comment. Why not just post a suggestion to our
> mailing list rather than try to stir up an angry mob?

It's part of their "holiday wishlist" (for us/Adium at least) and they have filed a ticket about it. But, specifically OTR chat, we Adium supports natively (and Pidgin requires a plugin) so I guess they split the difference and tweeted about logging in general.

If someone physically compromises your system, does it really matter that there's chat logs? If someone cares, wouldn't they disable it? Seems like a weird thing to worry about.