GSoC Chat Log Viewer

Mitchell computers1055 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:18:31 EDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 4:49 AM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Mitchell<computers1055 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   -Ability to group by protocol, combine meta contacts, or neither
> These seem weird to me.  Our buddy list doesn't allow grouping by
> protocol.  And I don't think we have a way to toggle meta contacts
> off/on in the buddy list.  I kinda feel like the chat log viewer
> should behave similarly.  (I DO think it would be nice to combine logs
> for a meta contact.)
That is true, It would be weird if the list of contacts was displayed
different within different parts of the program.
Also it could create maintainability problems, if the list of contacts
uses the same functions as the contact  list, it is
easier to keep it uniform, and update.
>>   -Ability to sort by name, last talked to, most talked to.
> I like these.
>
>>   -Functions to retrieve a list of all users that have logs
>>   -Functions to sort and the group the users, depending on user settings
>>   -Functions to search through the users for real-time pruning
>>   -Functions to display the sorted,grouped, and trimmed user list on screen
>>   -Functions to determine the last time the contact was talked to, frequency
>> of the conversations,
>>   -Functions for getting combined contacts, and combining their histories
>> together in the right order.
> That's a lot of functions.  I sometimes worry about too much low-level
> planning before starting the project.  Maybe some of these things
> already exist?  Maybe some of them will be trivial using existing
> functions and an additional function isn't justified?  It's great to
> have an idea of some functions that you might need to write.  I would
> be careful not to feel obligated to implement all of these unless
> they're actually needed and are the cleanest way to achieve the
> desired functionality.
I was just writing down a general overview of what would be needed to
make the chat viewer work, I would certainly use already existing
functions, and build off of those to suit the needs for the chat viewer.

Thanks for the comments.