GSoC Android front-end

Michael Zangl michael at fam-zangl.de
Tue Mar 20 15:06:42 EDT 2012

I do not have a public repository (but of cause, I'm having it in a
local SVN). Next problem is that I have hard-coded a lot of my paths (I
know this is bad, but it works as a test). If you want to, I can send
you the build files to get all libs running.

If you want to start, there is already a pidroid-package, but I was
unable to build it compleately. And it does not use the jni.

I started with getting everything to compile in eclipse (with ant build
files), what makes developing a lot easier. You should also set up
native debugging for the Android emulator.

I compiled all libraries (glib, libxml, ...) with the normal ./configure
&& make && make install, and onyl used the Android build system for
libpurple and my jni stuff.

For a start, I'd suggest to you to cross-compile some of the libraries.
Libffi is easy, no need for any crazy configure-parameters (just host
and prefix).

I do not want to discourage you to try, but you should really have an
idea of what cross-compiling is and how it works before trying any more.
And when you got everything to compile, including libpurple, and you got
android to accept the so-Files and load them, you should be ready to go
and implement all the needed ui ops.