[GSoC] Photo Sharing project proposal

Peter Lawler bleeter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:45:23 EDT 2012

On 22/03/12 07:49, Jorge Villaseñor wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Valentina Manea <valentina at rosedu.org> wrote:
>> On 03/21/12 09:55, Peter Lawler wrote:
>>
>> On 21/03/12 16:41, Valentina Manea wrote:
>>
>> I started from this ticket [0], from a Yahoo! Messenger feature but I
>> was thinking of doing something that is protocol independent.
>>
>> Going out on a limb, but I'd suspect this may be an extension of Y!M
>> 'Doodle'.
>>
>> Then again, that's how I'd do it - a whiteboard extension - because it
>> would seem at the surface to be the sensible approach. But Y!M being Y!M
>> probably means it's not done like that at all within that protocol ;)
>>
>> My 2c: I'd suggest looking at the Pidgin Whiteboard API as well as the
>> the current state of the XMPP Whiteboard[1]. From there, other prpls
>> could implement the functionality via plugins or within the prpl direct
>> once it's established how the protocol works with pictures within their
>> own whiteboard.
>>
>> Pete.
>> [1] No, I have no idea, sorry.

>> As I can see here [2], the Whiteboard is not officially accepted into XMPP.
>> Yes, it is a starting point but that would restrict photo sharing to XMPP
>> only. As I said in the previous email, I think I would be available to more
>> users as a Pidgin feature rather than a XMPP feature.
>>

>> [2] http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html
>>

> I rather prefer to have this feature limited to one protocol, with all
> the infrastructure to extend it to other protocols than having it
> restricted to pidgin-users.
>
> Btw, implementing an XEP I think is a good start point. MSN also
> support whiteboard, I don't know if it is the same you have in mind
> and Yahoo does but if it is, now you can have 3 protocols supporting
> this feature.

I think this is what I was trying to say, but put it badly (as is my
usual style :)

Extend the Pidgin Whiteboard API to do Y!M photo sharing stuff, but keep
the Whiteboard XEP in the back of your mind so as to keep Pidgin's API
abstracted enough to be practical for other protocols. Who knows, the
effort might even prod the XMPP crowd into working a bit more on this ;)

Pete.