GSoC 2012 : Pidgin Plugin Website

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Sat Mar 24 23:01:27 EDT 2012

You mention that youre adding pages to "the site".  Have you started coding
already? Just be careful not to do too much work too soon.  Technically,
students aren't supposed to be doing any coding until May 21st and only if
their projected is accepted (unless you're planning on not doing it as part
of the summer of code).

On Sunday, 25 March 2012, Nikhil Bafna <nikhil.bafna.r at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Eion.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Eion Robb <eion at robbmob.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm personally glad to see a proposal for this :)
>>>
>>> A few comments:
>>> * awesome to see screenshots already (where did you get the 3d rendered
pidgin logo!) It'd be good if the theme matched the theme of the
pidgin.im website
for consistency

>> Would start working on the theme matching soon. For now, I would like to
add new features and pages to the site.

>>> * plugins would need to be available for more than just 'windows and
Linux', eg splitting 'Linux' up into platform 32bit/64bit/PowerPC/ARM as
well as adding OSX and BSD (or whether it's cross platform in the case of
most Perl plugins)

>> All of that :) The end-user should easily get to know without much
browsing around whether the plugin is for their platform or not.

>>> * can you expand on point 10 "integration with the pidgin client"?
 What kind of integration are you thinking of?

>> I meant to build a detailed 3rd party plugin viewer inside the pidgin
client, with a link to the download page.

>>> * would you use a separate login system or link in with the logins on
trac?

>> Since I have not started any work on the backend, I could definitely use
the logins from trac. However, that might be problem if use separate user
and dev accounts. But I am confortable with either of the options.