Pidgin and the End of Windows Live Messenger

Peter Lawler bleeter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:41:06 EST 2012

On 11/07/2012 07:08 AM, Jaldora Kyor wrote:
>  Pidgin hasn't been interested in dealing with Skype.

This isn't true. Pidgin is very interested in dealing with Skype.

Just requires someone to come up with a cleanroom reverse engineered
Skype library and for Skype to not do stuff like (say) banning accounts
that use non-official clients (not saying I've seen this, but am saying
I've heard stuff sort of like that goes on)

What pidgin does right now is expose enough API so that people who don't
care for adhering to the GPL license can load Skype DLLs and other
tricks to get Pidgin talking Skype. Until such time as the cleanroom and
ban 'issues' are addressed, that's all that there will ever be.

As an aside, I do find it odd that MSN went to XMPP and now moving to
Skype. Kinda almost makes me wonder if they may have Skype prepping to
do some XMPP stuff itself.

P.