/pidgin/main: e6c37a5e6666: New dependency: libcurl

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:21:40 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Elliott Sales de Andrade
> <qulogic at pidgin.im> wrote:
>>
>> When did we decide to use libcurl over libsoup?
>
> I'm definitely in favor of using a 3rd party http library.  These two
> seem like the best candidates (but if anyone knows of another good
> one, feel free to suggest it).  I've never been a fan of libcurl's
> API.  I haven't used libsoup--maybe it's no better.
>
> Are we sure we can use libcurl on Windows without too much work?

I looked into this a bit and I don't think it'll be a problem to use
libcurl on Windows.

I don't think libsoup would be a problem either, but libcurl is
probably better supported.

<SNIP/>

I don't have much to add about the API conversation apart from the
comment about how it needs to fit in with the network code within
libpurple.
We shouldn't have the HTTP library doing DNS lookups, making its own
connections, handling SSL certificates and and etc itself - it needs
to all go through the libpurple code.  This may mean that we need to
have our own API wrapping layer.

-D