/pidgin/main: e6c37a5e6666: New dependency: libcurl

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz.groups at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:36:51 EDT 2012

I would like to do a little summary of our discussion.

1. Libsoup seems not to be acceptable, because of (probably) inability
to fit into purple event loop.

2. "Wrapping the world" would be elegant solution, but providing
half-naked curl interface for advanced features is lesser of two
evils.

3. We would like to leave some "simple" api for simple requests, but
not identical to current one (emulating current behavior in curl would
be hard to accomplish).

4. Proxy support: is it acceptable, to set up proxy via CURLOPT_PROXY
instead of using our socket creation functions? With
CURLPROXY_SOCKS5_HOSTNAME used for TOR proxies.

5. SSL support: is it acceptable, to inject our certificates to curl
configuration, instead of using our ssl implementation?

6. DNS: do we have to serve them on our own? As far, as I understood,
it was most important when using SOCKS/TOR proxy (see 4).

Did I missed something?

Forcing http library to use our socket creation functions is rational,
when using all of it's benefits (proxy, ssl, dns). It seems, that none
of popular libraries supports providing callbacks for all of them. So,
I suggest using solutions mentioned above.

Waiting for comments and decisions,
Tomek