GSOC: Android client potential

Peter Lawler bleeter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:20:36 EDT 2013

Hi!
Just throwing this out into the ring.

Last year, some GSOC work was done to bring the core of Pidgin -
libpurple - to Android. It's reported as working, albeit with a very
basic UI. If I recall correctly, it's currently at libpurple 2.10.6, one
micro release behind current.

I would encourage all students contemplating applying to Pidgin to
consider working on Pidgin for Android (Pigdroid?)

Whilst I can't speak for the team who will approve applicants, I'm
merely a semi-retired retired Crazy Patch Writer, I do suspect and hope
that a good plan to progress this would be a strong candidate for
acceptance. There seems to be much interest amongst users and (afaik)
some of the developers in getting this further along.

More details on last year's GSOC Android effort can be found
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/GSoC2012/Android - I encourage people
to look at it.

Cheers,

Pete.