Contact avatars, Summer Of Code & Stuff

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Apr 14 11:22:21 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Tobia Tesan <tobia.tesan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the proposed ideas, but I'm not sure if they are doable without
> previous experience with the codebase.

The projects on our ideas list are definitely challenging, but they
should be doable for someone without previous experience with the
codebase.  In fact, in past years I think this is the more common
case.

> I'd like to have the option to display my custom picture (defined in Google
> Contacts) instead of the one defined by each contact.
>
> Is there a good reason not to do it?

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.  I'm guessing you would need to
use some sort of Google Contacts API and not XMPP?  If so, I feel like
this should be a separate plugin rather than part of our XMPP plugin,
because you're essentially overriding data given to you by the server.
 One concern is that this project doesn't feel "big" enough to occupy
an entire summer.

> Has it already been discussed, is it (surprisingly) undoable?

I haven't heard this discussed before.  I think it is very doable.