[GSoC] Whiteboarding Pidgin

Sanket Agarwal sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Thu Apr 25 11:20:03 EDT 2013

Hi,

Thanks for posting the idea. I worked on a hack of a whiteboard sometime
back. To start off with the project I would suggest that you review some of
the existing whiteboarding solutions so that you can test if you have
implemented it properly. AFAIK Gajim (XEP-0284) and coccinella (in house
protocol) have their implementations.

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0284.html as well?

> Project Plan
>
> The main intention is to implement whiteboarding using existing XMPP
> protocols for whiteboarding and to and start the development of the
> protocol based on the possibilities of the gui that could be. Most of the
> ideas can be inherited from the Yahoo Doodle concept. I want to introduce a
> concept of Whiteboard Table where there are areas of the table that is
> Asynchronous which can be stored on a supported cloud like Google Drive or
> UbuntuOne. Thus the features I want to incorporate are
>
> Pushable Whiteboard
>
> The first step would be to review the protocol developed by Mateusz Piękos
> based on Operational Transforms. Using the protocol set-up asynchronous
> Whiteboarding and Whiteboard session logging. With minimal gui edits the
> protocol can be updated with these features.

Are you aware if this protocol is used with any other client to test your
interoperability?

> Integrated Chat
>
> With the gui updates. The chat can be integrated into the whiteboard. With
> practicality of piggybacking the whiteboard on the chat or the chat on the
> whiteboard should be decided and set-up the protocols of Whiteboard and
> chat to interact with each other to add a functionality to point the chat
> manually and then give option for automatic chat positioning in the
> whiteboard.
>
>  User Tracking
>
> In the whiteboard the object that each user is using should highlighted so
> that the other can identify it.
>

> This is a slightly crude proposal. I will incorporate more ideas and
> images to better explain the entire proposal. But this is the outline of
> the project. Please let me know if any doubts regarding the same and
> whether I should tackle any thing in specific.

To keep things in perspective I would suggest you go through the following
thread where we planned to put a hack of a whiteboard with pidgin:
http://jabber.996255.n3.nabble.com/Whiteboard-functionality-for-xmpp-protocol-in-pidgin-td15015.html.
I think the first email of the thread contains code links to pidgin
specific implementation.

Hope this gets you started!

Cheers
--Sanket