GSoc : Better Buddy Search.

Sanket Agarwal sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Sun Apr 28 14:27:06 EDT 2013

Hi all,

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Sathyavarathan Sivabalasingam
> <ssatthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3. the default buddy list will be replace by a temporary GtkTreeModel to
> > show only the contacts that our algorithm finds.
>
> Have you checked if it's possible to accomplish this without using a
> temporary GtkTreeModel?  It could possibly be cleaner and more
> efficient to remove/re-add buddies in our existing GtkTreeModel.

I think it's possible. We might need to look at how we currently use
buddylists. As I know all the calls in gtkblist.c which gets the buddylist
(PurpleBuddyList) through purple_get_blist() function in blist.c. We need
to add a mechanism whereby each fetch of PurpleBuddyList requires a search
term. The obvious advantages are:
* Search can be inherent to libpurple, so other UI's (such as Finch,
Pidgin, Adium and what not) can directly benefit from a new search feature.
* As you suggested, it'll be cleaner and won't require touching the UI
part. Also it can be much more efficient than having a temporary
GtkTreeModel.
* We could think more about incremental search (because users type
incrementally) by saving search state inside blist.c.

I think it's about time we did something about this functionality.

Cheers
--Sanket