New plugin API

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Fri Aug 9 01:57:28 EDT 2013

I'll speak to the gplugin questions as I haven't been following Ankit's
changes for purple directly.

In GPlugin, a plugin does *NOT* need to implement a single GObject to do
anything.  A GPluginPlugin just gives a developer access to run code from a
loadable module.  Internally, the query, load, and unload functions in the
plugin are stored in a GPluginNativePlugin GObject, but there is no good
way to create a subclass of GPluginPlugin that could be loaded by any
loader unless you use a decorator object that contains the GPluginLoader's
GPluginPlugin subclass.

If we were to have the protocols subclass the plugin, then the loader needs
to know what type to register so that it can instantiate it and create it.
 That also means that a plugin can only contain one protocol.  The way it
stands right now, we could do something crazy like have the IRC plugin add
the base IRC protocol, and then add additional protocol's that have
predefined servers and stuff for popular networks.  This example seems a
bit over zealous, but think of the XMPP situation.  The XMPP plugin could
register XMPP, Google Talk, Facebook XMPP (is this still around?), etc.
 But the library will also let you do that in separate plugins as well.

I think the real problem here is how we both interpret ProtocolPlugin.  To
me, it's a plugin that implements a protocol, and it would seem to me, that
your interpretation is that's it's a protocol that *IS* a plugin.

The ABI version in the GPluginPluginInfo object is for what version of the
GPlugin ABI you're working against, it doesn't reflect on pidgin as well.
 The PURPLE_PLUGIN_MAGIC stuff, should probably be implemented in
PurplePluginInfo to require 3.1.0, 3.0.1, etc.

For subclassing, I don't know how Ankit implemented it, but the way GPlugin
was designed to support, was that you create a GObject that subclasses the
other object.  Therefore you need access to it's headers to compile.  But
it's treated like any other subclass in the GType system.

For dependent plugin loading, I wrote that a long time ago, but if my
memory serves (that's a big if), the plugin that's depended on is loaded
first, if it fails to load, so does it's dependent.

Plugin category is a good idea and I might add that right into GPlugin
propper.  It is just a text field and can be translated.  "category" is the
property name and can't be translated, but it's value can be whatever.

For the _with_(base)?name stuff.  GPlugin uses id's rather than generic
names.  There is no enforcement of following the standard in GPlugin, but
the convention is library/application_name-plugin_name.  For example
"gplugin-python-plugin-loader", where "gplugin" is the
library/application_name and "python-plugin-loader" is the plugin name.

One thing I wanted to add that Ankit didn't touch on is why use id's over
names and how they're implemented.  Being a general purpose library, there
are quite a few more cases I have to worry about with GPlugin.  One of them
is people installing plugins into the wrong location.  But using the above
naming convention, it makes it easier while debugging or looking at
gplugin-query (more on this in a minute) to figure out what's going on.

Aside from that, I'm sure most of us have helped a user that ended up
having a "buggy" plugin that wasn't updating because they installed a
version a long time ago to ~/.purple/plugins and then later installed it
into /usr/lib/purple-2.  In libpurple right now, the last one seen is the
one that's used.  GPlugin allows you to "see" both, and in fact even load
both versions at the same time.  This was mostly modeled after the Netscape
Plugin implementation.  For example, according to my chrome://plugins I
have 3 versions of Java installed right now, and while I'm in "details"
mode I can enable and disable specific versions.

gplugin-query is a command line tool that will allow you to query plugins
you have installed.  For example:

grim at cloak:~$ gplugin-query -ivv
gplugin-python-loader
  name:        Python Plugin Loader
  version:     0.0.4dev
  summary:     A plugin that can load python plugins
  author:      Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>
  website:     http://bitbucket.org/rw_grim/gplugin
  filename:    /usr/local/lib/gplugin/gplugin-python.so
  abi version: 1
  flags:       load-on-query,internal
  loader:      GPluginNativePluginLoader
programming language.

I only have the python loader installed right now, but we have all the
information we have in a plugin dialog right now in a quick and easy to
read format.  It also supports adding additional paths, so a simple script
could be created to have it query the libpurple/pidgin plugin directories
as well.

If you have any more questions about GPlugin feel free ;)

Thanks,