New plugin API

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Aug 9 12:25:54 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-09 at 20:13 +0530, Ankit Vani wrote:
> Yes, I was planning on doing that. I was thinking a plugin can call
> purple_plugin_set_error(plugin, error) for this purpose before
> returning FALSE.

This is another thing that seems like it'd fit better in gplugin. The
idea of a plugin deciding it can't be loaded for one reason or another
seems like it'd be common across applications.

On Fri, 2013-08-09 at 20:13 +0530, Ankit Vani wrote:
> Moreover, if things are to be done this way, I would suggest not making plugins
> an exception, and all GObjects in purple should be dealt with this way.

You provided examples of purple_SOMETHING_get_account(). I don't see a
problem with those staying "transfer none", especially since we're
single-threaded.

If you pass an account to a callback, though, you're going to need to
g_object_ref() it before you do so, and g_object_unref() it from the
callback code when you're done with it.

Can you provide some more examples of things you think are wrong or
inconsistent?

--
Richard