debug log - small but substantial change for 3.0.0 and fancy output

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 12:50:17 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Tomasz Wasilczyk
<tomkiewicz at cpw.pidgin.im>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, all calls to purple_debug_* should be terminated with LF
> character. This can be handy in one awful situation: when we want to
> print out the debug message in multiple calls to purple_debug_info. I
> suggest changing this behavior: messages could be passed in their bare
> form and LF (or other formatting data) could be added by logger
> itself.
>
> Advantages: I won't forget about trailing \n anymore; debug loggers
> (like for our gtk frontend) will get debug messages clearly separated.

I am not sure if this could break some use cases. And if it does, we should
provide a way to service that use cases.

> Another change is strictly about console output: there could be
> additional switch "--debug=colored" to enable colors in bash console.
> I've prepared an implementation for it. Cool, isn't it?
>
> Please, take a look [1] and leave some comments. Is anyone against
> committing it?
>
> [1]
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5448886/pidgin-debug/debug-colored.patch
>
> Tomek

Does this formating works on non-bash consoles? I am not sure ksh, csh, zsh
... share the same formating.

And a cosmetic note. I would rather change that if-else-if-else with a
switch-case statement. =)

--
Masca