OTR integration

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewicz at cpw.pidgin.im
Mon Aug 26 02:51:59 EDT 2013

2013/8/26 Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>:
> I kind of hinted at this in the devel at conference.pidgin.im MUC, but
> you could maybe do some combination of the first and second options:
> Have the plugin enable itself by default and have the plugin watch for
> "?OTRvxx?" messages. The plugin would want to avoid altering Pidgin's
> UI unless:
> - The user has received an incoming "?OTRvxx?" message and has
> selected "yes, use OTR"
> or
> - The user has manually turned on OTR. I'm not sure how this would
> work, since the plugin would already be enabled. Maybe the user
> generates a key? Or views the config UI?

This approach have one advantage: it encloses all OTR code within a
plugin. However, I don't see any fair solution for usability: if user
enables the plugin, he is entitled to expect that it works and doesn't
require going somewhere and flipping another switch to turn it on.

Currently, user doesn't do anything before using OTR's UI - he just
opens a conversation and chooses a "start a private conversation" from
the OTR menu. No initial configuration is needed, keys are generated
automatically.

> Also, I like when dialogs have an "not now, but do ask me again later"
> option. It let's me ignore the dialog for now without worrying that
> I'm going to miss out on an exciting feature. Meh--not critical, and
> maybe doesn't make sense in the OTR case.

Good point, I don't see any problems with implementing that.

Tomek