OTR integration

Tomasz Wasilczyk twasilczyk at pidgin.im
Fri Aug 30 08:55:49 EDT 2013

There is another problem that needs discussion - code formatting.

Pidgin-otr code style doesn't match ours [1], it's mainly about
indentation. The question is - how we should deal with it?

Not all pidgin-otr files will be imported into Pidgin's main tree.
Four: gtk-(dialog|ui).(c|h) will not, because they will be
pidgin2-only specific. Six: ui.(c.h), otr-plugin.(c|h), dialogs.(c|h)
will be for both pidgin2 and libpurple3. I'm not sure about the
remaining three: tooltipmenu.(c|h), otr-icons.h.

I see following options:
- allowing import of non-compliant code (this would make OTR guys
happy, because they don't like the idea of reformatting their whole
codebase)
- allowing import of this code, but using our coding style for changes
(this can be messy at some point) and new files
- insisting on reformatting the code before import (I like this idea
the most, but OTR devs do not)

I can handle reformatting task, so the effort put on OTR team is
minimized. The problem is, they would have to merge all pending
branches before doing it. The reformatting can be postponed to the
very end, but the discussion could be started now.

Please, give us some comments and opinions, because I don't think I
should make such decision by myself.

Tomek

[1] https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/CodingStandards