Pidgin and the End of Windows Live Messenger

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Jan 10 12:09:00 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Duncan Berriman <duncan at berrimans.co.uk> wrote:
> Existing implementations that use Extensible Messaging and Presence
> Protocol (XMPP) will continue to work until October 2013. Existing implementations
> that use MSP will continue to work until March 2014.
>
> So does that mean pidgin will work until at least October (via WLM)?

Pidgin actually uses MSP to connect, not XMPP, so yes, the message
"Important update from Microsoft" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/ is encouraging and with luck
Pidgin will work until March 2014.  But we're also not exactly
"official" and it wouldn't surprise me if our access broke before
then.