Adding JSON library to libpurple dependencies

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Sat Jan 19 03:41:00 EST 2013

On 01/19/2013 02:30 AM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> I made a table:
> https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Dependencies
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Elliott Sales de Andrade
> <qulogic at pidgin.im> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
>>> Based on this, I went ahead and changed our requirement to 0.14.0 in
>>> configure.ac in main.
>>
>> FYI, json-glib 0.14.0 also depends on GLib 2.26, so we could
>> theoretically bump our GLib requirements as well.
>
> We'll drop support for (Pidgin 3.0.0 and higher only):
> - RHEL6 and Scientific Linux 6 (only has glib2 2.22.5)

I think this is the biggest worry, because there's no newer release
available.  However, RHEL will probably do all the backporting work if
they need to to make 2.x keep going for the rest of the 6 series,
regardless of whether 3.0.0 builds on it.  I think we can safely
disregard it.  RHEL 7 will certainly have a higher glib2, though it will
probably be released in 2014.

> - Debian Stable (glib 2.24)

I am pretty sure that Wheezy will be released this year, and a great
number of Debian desktop users run testing.

> - Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (glib 2.24.1)

Ubuntu 12.04 is the current LTS, so I think this is reasonable.

> This sounds fine to me.  Anyone object?

Instead of doing a half dozen little bumps evaluated separately, does
anyone have any reasons to nominate anything *past* glib 2.26 for
anything right now?  Current stable is 2.34.

Kevin