[GSOC] Plugins Website Progress as of 29th July 2013

Bhaskar Kandiyal bkandiyal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 14:37:54 EDT 2013

> It sounds like you're already planning this, but FYI it's generally a
> good idea to allow users to download for any platform/architecture
> even if they're not currently using it. There is commonly a link that
> says something along the lines of "Download for other platforms."

I think I forgot to mention that this is only when the website is
accessed from the plugin dialog of Pidgin. Since it will be used to
install the plugins specific to their current platform. The website
when accessed from a web browser will show all platforms/architectures
to download :)

> Your method of checking for updated plugins seems reasonable. I
> wouldn't perform the check ONLY at startup, because users might go a
> long period of time without restarting. You could maybe try to check
> once per week:
> - store a timestamp as a pref of the time of the last check
> - at startup, check if a week has elapsed. If so, check for updates
> and add a timer for a week. if not, add a timer to check for updates
> at the one-week time
> - when the timer goes off, return FALSE to cancel the existing timer
> and always add a new one for a full week (since the previous timer
> might have been less than that)
> - timers can be added with purple_timeout_add_seconds()

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions, I'll implement it this way and
maybe we could add a preference for when to check for updates with
options for daily, weekly etc. so the user is in control of things.

Cheers,
Bhaskar Kandiyal