new client plans and libpurple

Zoltán Sólyom z-ismeretlen at freemail.hu
Fri Mar 29 19:39:08 EDT 2013

Made a simple c# "program" which loads libpurple.dll compiled with
Visual Studio. It does nothing just calls purple_util_set_user_dir to
test whether the dll loading works. (I had to spend just another 2 hours
to find out why not.) For anyone trying to do the same:

libpurple.dll uses libxml2.2 which in turn uses zlib1.dll. The gtk 2.14
archive (listed on the BuildingWinPidgin page) contains a zlib1.dll, but
that one doesn't work. There is a function not exported from it, but
linked in from libxml2.2, and loading any dll using libxml2.2.dll or
libxml2.2.dll itself fails. Fortunately I had a zlib1.dll I had to
compile previously from the official source. (It is not difficult,
anyone can do it.) So don't use the the faulty zlib1.dll, even if you
have to build a good one yourself.

In my opinion it would be the best to replace zlib1.dll in the gtk
archive, unless it is some kind of official package.