Data Structures

Ankit Vani a at nevitus.org
Tue Nov 19 02:56:59 EST 2013

One data structure I can think of other than what Richard mentioned is
circular buffers (libpurple/circbuffer.[ch]).

As for optimizing, search for things in the code marked 'TODO', maybe
something will pop up for you.

For example, see this in libpurple/account.h:

/*
 * TODO: Supplementing the next two linked lists with hash tables
 * should help performance a lot when these lists are long.  This
 * matters quite a bit for protocols like MSN, where all your
 * buddies are added to your permit list.  Currently we have to
 * iterate through the entire list if we want to check if someone
 * is permitted or denied.  We should do this for 3.0.0.
 * Or maybe use a GTree.
 */
GSList *permit;             /**< Permit list.                           */
GSList *deny;               /**< Deny list.                             */