Insert link facilitates phishing attacks

Michael Secord gizmokid2005 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 11:36:56 EST 2013

On 11/19/2013 4:18 AM Gasper Zejn <zejn at kiberpipa.org> said unto
devel at pidgin.im:

> Pidgin's feature insert link can be used to launch a phishing attack, see
> attached image.
>
> By inserting a link into description link, you can fool a more knowledgeable
> person thinking he is clicking a link to page A, when in fact the link will
> take him to page B.
>
> kind regards,
> Gašper Žejn

Just like every other application in the history or hyperlinks? You can
do the same in nearly every email client, word, every website, every
other chat client I've ever used...

I can understand the concern but it's not really something that can be
done, especially since even if this is removed, the person could then
use a link shortener to hide the malicious content still...

-Michael