[Pidgin] BuildingWinPidgin/3.0.0 modified

Tomasz Wasilczyk twasilczyk at pidgin.im
Sat Apr 26 12:55:00 EDT 2014

On 04/26/2014 11:55 AM, Eion Robb wrote:
> And you don't see anything wrong with that idea?  Why not set things up
> so that you need OSX to compile for Linux?

You don't have to compile from Linux. You can always (just like I said)
compile with cygwin using autotools. It's just more painful than
cross-compilation. That's why cross is the preferred option - it's
almost as simple (and fast) as normal linux compilation.

But I don't say, that new autotools-based build is more painful than
legacy, Makefile.mingw based one. It may be for now, when we don't have
any docs about it.

On 04/26/2014 06:23 PM, Richard Laager wrote:> On Sat, 2014-04-26 at
11:44 +0200, Tomasz Wasilczyk wrote:
 >> it should still be possible to build on
 >> Windows using cygwin *and* autotools/pkgconfig.
 >
 > Have you tested that? I think it'd be really frustrating to be on
 > Windows trying to do some development and have to keep cross-building
 > from another box.

Personally - no, I don't like Cygwin. But LRN, who sent us initial
patches for fixing autotools-based win32 buildsystem, used it.

And you don't have to use two boxes. I use linux machine with Win7
launched within virtualbox. You can use Windows machine with
virtualboxed Ubuntu.

As I said, cygwin should handle build on win32. If not - it should be
fixable. Also, wiki could be updated to explain cygwin setup process for
autotools-based build.

Tomek