Pidgin XMPP discovery of TURN servers

Yclept Nemo orbisvicis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 11:57:50 EDT 2014

How can pidgin discover an XMPP server's TURN server? I run an XMPP and
TURN server on the same domain, and the TURN server uses a custom port. The
TURN server is advertised over XMPP using XEP-0215 (Extern Service
Discovery: extdisco), however per
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/SupportedXEPs pidgin does not support
XEP-0215. From an email thread (
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jingle/2010-April/001236.html) I found
that pidgin once searched for STUN servers using the following:

    "Pidgin currently does a _stun._udp.<domain portion of JID> lookup"

Does the same still apply for TURN as well? For example, could I use the
following DNS SRV record to inform pidgin of my custom TURN server?

    "_turn_.tcp.<domain portion of JID> <TTL> IN SRV <PRIORITY> <WEIGHT>
<CUSTOM PORT> <domain portion of JID>"

Sincerely,