phurple - libpurple bindings for PHP

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Jan 9 10:43:26 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Anatol Belski <ab at php.net> wrote:
> - libpurple is still not thread safe

I'm personally not sure whether this would be a good thing for
libpurple. In any case, it definitely won't happen anytime soon (if
ever).

> - related to above, compiling with native tools on windows some plugins in
> the core couldn't be done, almost because they're not C89 compatible or
> base on some C89 incompatible lib

We would likely accept patches for this. We try to be buildable by
sane compilers.

> - documentation on compatibility between 2.x and 3.x libpurple is somewhat
> unclear, i personally feel a bit unsure about how to retain compatibility
> in the future

They won't be compatible. Things that compile against 2.x will likely
require code changes in order to compile again 3.x. Changing the major
version number breaks backward compatibility. This is discussed a
little more at http://semver.org/