Let's drop support for NSS!

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Sep 15 02:29:51 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Elliott Sales de Andrade
<quantum.analyst at gmail.com> wrote:
> That being said, I wonder why we can't just use the TLS support in GLib?
> Do we just not depend on a new enough version? Does it not provide
> everything we need?

I didn't even know GLib HAD TLS support until now. Is this it?
https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/tls.html

Looks like it was added in 2.28. Our master branch currently requires
GLib 2.20.0. So, not too far off. At the rate we're moving with 3.0.0
it might be fine for us to bump our requirement to 2.28.

I haven't looked at the API at all. I'd be happy if we're able to use
that and it provides everything we need and works well and seems
secure. Then we could drop our NSS code AND our GnuTLS code. And
assuming the GLib TLS stuff works on OS X and MS Windows then we might
not even need our SSL stuff to be pluginizable. Would certainly make
things simpler.