Let's drop support for NSS!

Florian Quèze florian at instantbird.org
Mon Sep 15 06:17:44 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> I mentioned this a year and a half ago[1]. I'd like to drop support
> for using Mozilla NSS for TLS and standardize on GnuTLS (only in the
> master branch, not in release-2.x.y). We can keep TLS support
> pluginable so that Adium can continue to use OpenSSL (which we're
> generally ok with because we consider OpenSSL to be a part of OS X,
> and the GPL has a special inclusion for stuff that's considered part
> of the OS).

FYI, Instantbird uses libpurple with NSS because NSS is part of the Mozilla
platform that Instantbird is based on.

That said, it doesn't matter too much to us if you remove the NSS code from
the Pidgin repository, because we already had to customize it a little bit
(the Mozilla toolkit already has code initializing NSS, and initializing it
twice has undesirable consequences).

As long as the current libpurple SSL API is kept mostly unmodified (which
seems to be the plan for Adium's OpenSSL support), we should be fine.

Florian

--
Florian Quèze
Instantbird lead developer