Splitting the repos...

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Apr 7 10:19:11 EDT 2016

This has been brought up in devel at conference.pidgin.im recently and I'd
like to actually discuss it here where everyone can see it.  I've been
waiting to bring it up until I had more of the CI stuff setup, but now is
as good of a time as any.

As you may or may not know, I strongly support splitting the repo into
libpurple, pidgin, libgnt, and finch repos.  I would also like to split out
some of our less commonly used protocol plugins (namely meanwhile and
zephyr) to separate repos to get the dependency and build complexity down.

For most developers, this means you'll have to build an libpurple and or
libgnt separately.  However, once all of the CI stuff is setup, if you just
want to work on pidgin or finch you shouldn't have to compile libpurple and
libgnt separately anymore since you can pull them out of the CI artifacts.

At any rate, discuss! :)

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>