Splitting the repos...

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Thu Apr 7 14:47:51 EDT 2016

Gary,

First off I'll say that splitting this out would like making building
libpurple for Instantbird easier, so that'd be nice...

It might make development harder, however. This is from my experiences
developing on Instantbird which has components across 3 repositories:
mozilla-central (UI core, networking, security, etc. from Firefox),
comm-central (Instantbird and Thunderbird code), purplexpcom (libpurple
and XPCOM interfaces to libpurple):

  * It is significantly more difficult to get new people set-up if they
    need to pull multiple repositories and can be more confusing to
    explain things.
  * Mass changes over multiple repositories can become harder (e.g.
    renaming things, changing the build system, etc.).
  * Building can become more frustrating: you need to ensure you have
    corresponding revisions of both repositories that build together.
  * People might update a single repository and forget to update others
    (e.g. a Finch developer might make changes to Finch and
    corresponding libpurple changes; but not update Pidgin for those
    same changes).

I've also tried to run separate repositories in work environments in
various environments (usually based on Git)...I've found they always
fail miserably. (Keeping versions in sync without real rules and
interfaces is a huge pain.) Things like git submodules/Mercurial
sub-repos make this a little easier by pointing to a known "working
revision", but then make it difficult to work on the bleeding edge
(tip/master) in these systems.

Some of the big companies, e.g. Facebook, use a single repository:

    "Our code base has grown organically and its internal dependencies
    are very complex. We could have spent a lot of time making it more
    modular in a way that would be friendly to a source control tool,
    but there are a number of benefits to using a single repository.
    Even at our current scale, we often make large changes throughout
    our code base, and having a single repository is useful for
    continuous modernization. Splitting it up would make large, atomic
    refactorings more difficult. On top of that, the idea that the
    scaling constraints of our source control system should dictate our
    code structure just doesn't sit well with us." -- Durham Goode,
    Siddharth P Agarwal
    https://code.facebook.com/posts/218678814984400/scaling-mercurial-at-facebook/

I think that Google also does this
(http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/41435/what-is-googles-repository-like).

Overall I'd say: think very carefully about why you're doing this and if
it will really help anything. If you plan to do this, invest in some
tooling around it (e.g. make it easy to update to compatible versions of
all repositories without thinking much).

--Patrick